Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Totonicapan

Over the weekend for Field Based Training I went to visit a part of Guatemala called Totonicapan. Toto was super fly and absolutely gorgeous. However, Toto has a massive problem with malnutrition among kids. 70-80% of children under the age of five suffer from malnutrition. This makes this zone the highest for rates of malnutrition. Not only do the parents not know what to feed the kids for them to have proper sustenance, they often times literally can't afford to feed their kids. All I can think of is how many times I have thrown away perfectly good food because I wasn't hungry anymore or because I didn't like it. It's hard not to feel like an asshole when we are blessed with so much and there are so many people with so little.
It's also difficult to witness and be privy to the amount of problems without being able to fix them. It is so hard to be hands off, and to only teach people to help themselves without just doing things for them. I need patience and to learn to let things go and learn that I can't fix everything.
deep breaths.

famous church in Totonicapan

No comments:

Post a Comment