Wednesday, March 26, 2014

identity

Six weeks in to service. I am 24 and I am pretty sure I am undergoing an identity crisis. Last night I was thinking about what I am. I don't have any idea anymore. My biggest identity markers for years have been: sister, partner, queer, rollergirl. Here I am so far away from all of these, or can't outwardly name myself as such.
It is a very strange feeling to realize that you aren't actually sure what you are anymore. I am an American. I am a woman. I am white. This is what I am seen as now. Not much more. I miss being a  in your face giant mo. I miss my skates. I miss my partner, and I miss my sisters. I miss knowing who I am. I miss being able to tell people to go to hell if they touch my body without permission, or let's be real, look at me the wrong way.
When I try to self identify now I know I am a volunteer, I am determined. I am no longer Sam, Bobbi, Sissy, King Strawberry. I mean I am, but not on a day to day basis.
So what happens when you don't know who you are anymore?
Does that mean I can just be whoever I want now? I can change, though it is less of a change for what I want and more just establishing who I am. All I know is I am way too young to have an identity crisis.
Here's to a fusion of the best of the old and exploring the new.
This tumblr has a lot of great examples of what I mean. Enjoy!http://howapcvputsitgently.tumblr.com/post/54169000473/the-peace-corps-emotional-timeline

No comments:

Post a Comment