Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Geronimo



Since I don’t have internet often blogging on a regular basis has become extremely difficult, so I have decided I will just type things up as they happen throughout the week then update with all entries on Tuesdays.

Stepping onto the plane that was Guatemala bound the only thing I could think of was Amelia Pond saying “Geronimo” and bounding into the unknown with the doctor. For a moment I basically felt like a bamf companion, I mentally made note of how I was just like Amy Pond, you know, sans the whole time travel, going to another planet, having a time lord for a friend, traveling in the TARDIS, being a hot redhead, and having a daughter who was sort of older than me, but apart from all those things I was *just* like Amy Pond.
Anyway, I thought having Guate be my first other cultural visit was a great idea. Unfortunately, I now sort of regret this decision. Fortunately I regret it only because I feel like I started with a place so remarkable I might have set the bar a little too high for future endeavors.  Every morning when I wake up, I walk out of my house and have the most remarkable views. I do my homework on the roof and find myself completely forgetting to pay attention to my studies but rather getting lost in the beautiful sky, unadulterated by clouds with only mountains and volcanoes on the skyline. Oh my God! There are 33 volcanoes here, this country is smaller than the size of Tennessee and there are 33 volcanoes. Most of them are inactive, but every morning the volcano aptly named Fuego let’s off a tuft of smoke, well, it should. As long as there is a little bit of smoke then it’s fiiiiiine. Or so I’m told. My biggest solace in this is that I was obsessed with Pompeii when I was a kid, so I have had about 16 years to figure out the perfect pose in case it erupts. I don’t want to be one of those lame people encased in lava for thousands of years only to be discovered by paleontologists picking my nose or something. Sometimes my thoughts are so profound I scare myself. Ha, but not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment