Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thanks and Stuff



Alas, the year mark has come and gone for our arrival in this country. I wish I could say it was a breeze, and I never had doubts or fears, but that would all be complete bogus.
I have had so much amazing support from so many people, so expected and some really stepping up and being more than I could have asked for, but every person who has made an effort, said hi, kept me in their prayers or thoughts, has made a huge difference in my ability to keep going on those rough days where all I want to do is pack my bags and come to a safe, quiet, familiar place in the states.
I would like to take a moment to give a special thanks to one person in particular who has helped me sane. She has helped me through, break ups, my anti-social, anxiety bullshit,  the worst illnesses of life (almost meningitis, ha), random bouts of depression, and a few existential crises , and stayed up absurdly late talking to me when insomnia is an extra giant bitch.
When Col and I moved to Solola we were the only people in the project in this department. At this point there were a whopping four volunteers in Solola, and we were actually the farthest two from one another, however we still managed to see each other fairly often and talk almost daily. Actually, most days we talk more than once, with almost all conversations starting out with “you won’t believe this shit” or “guess what just happened to me” and ending in things varying from “my host aunt passed away” to “a bolo just told me to blow him”. Oh Guatemala.
Then there was that time that we met our departmental level boss and my pen exploded on my hand and I couldn’t speak Spanish and she carried the team. We are only a year in and have already made so many…memorable memories.  So here is to another year, Col. Hopefully I can be half as supportive to you as you were to me. Or we just bounce in June. Either one, you’re the best. And weirdest, and I like that.

I would also like to say thank you to so many amazing people in my Bak’tun who have kept me sane, through random long conversations at conferences, to bitching over fancy wine, you guys know who you are. Thank you.

And of course, to all the people back in the states. There are so many people who have been extra kinda and sent so much love this way among those who perpetually astound me with their kindness and love…Jackie, TJ, Faja, Charlie, Marfullus the marvelous, Special Mama Snowflake, Sass, and of course, Maggie. You guys have all been a rock and point of strength on days that I have felt like falling to pieces.
And to everyone who has ever sent me something, you are my hero, thank you for going out of your way to do something so thoughtful and sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment